Friday, January 4, 2008

Testimony to share


Hi! For those who do not know me, I’m Samuel Teo studying in my 1st year in SMU. I met with a car accident on 15th Oct 2007, and suffered from ruptures and blood-clot in my intestines and major bone bruising and ligament tears of my right leg and knee respectively. I went for a life-dependency operation for my intestines and was in ICU for 3 days. I have since been recovering well and am thankful for that.

First of all, I would love to take this time to thank everyone who has been there to support me through this trying period, especially my family members and Peiyun. But most importantly, I would like to take this time to thank the Lord Jesus Christ for His goodness and mercy (I’ll be doing God injustice if I did not!) This is a really special new year for me to be in.

I’m grateful to be alive, and to see life from a whole-nother perspective. For the love that so many individuals have given to me, truly I’m blessed. I’m puzzled by me saying that I’m blessed through such a terrible experience but truly there are so many times during my period of recuperation that people will show me concern and care! In school my cca, samba masala, school mates, profs and project groups were not only understanding but kept a lookout for me. At home, my mum’s undying love and care allowed my recovery to be a smooth one. From church, there were bros and sis-in-Christ who paid visits, encouraged and prayed for me. There were many friends who were showing their concerns too. I was really touched.

During the time of post-op and recovery period there were many sleepless nights and times of prolonged pain. Things that I previously took for granted just like everyone else, being able to pass motion, eating solid food, walking and running as per normal were not possible all of a sudden. During times where I cried out on my hospital bed and knowing that no one would be able to hear them, I started to think who I was living this life for. To me, times of loneliness are the worst knowing there is no one to turn to. I’d rather suffer and know that there is someone there, than go through life knowing no one is going to stand by me. The lyrics of a christian song came to my head on one of those nights as I mumbled it out:

When trouble comes I trust in You
For I know You will see me through
And I know You are faithful till the end
For when the clouds are drawing near
When I’m with You I don’t have to fear
You’re my refuge on whom I can depend

Through the day and through the night
I know You’re always by my side

Lord, You are always here with me
There is no changing God in thee
You are the same yesterday, and today, and forever.
Here on your promises I stand
You hold my future in Your hands
My Solid Rock, Almighty God I worship you.

To some, the thought of having someone unseen beside you is creepy, but at that moment I was just so overwhelmed by the knowledge of Him being there. Things are constantly changing in this world. In this instance, it would be my health and I was longing for someone/something that I could depend on, something that was truly Solid Rock. That night, the pain did not go away and I did not have a good night sleep, but it was bearable and I was at peace. That meant so much to me.

Previously, when people tell me about terrible accidents and sufferings all I had was goosebump from the thought of it. But now, I understand it to a better extent (Don’t wish to ‘gain’ more ‘understanding’ on this, though). Somehow, through this incident, what was meant for bad has turned out for good and useful.

I had to deal with thoughts of regrets, depression and suicide. I knew I had to move on, if not my life that was saved from a wreckage would be wasted. For those who are going through or went through or know of people going through such a time, be of good cheers and know that since life is so short, don’t dwell on those times of regrets but use them for the purposes they are meant for your lives! Whatever meant for bad, can be turned to good in our lives through God who gives us strength.

I believed that besides the possibility of true coincidence during the accident that even though the front of the car was crushed flat, there was miraculously a space left at where I sat in the driver’s seat. If not, my legs would have been crushed or broken by the impact and the dashboard sinking in. Thankfully, no one else was involved or that would cause even more remorse and regrets to be dealt with.

Let this be an encouragement to whoever that is reading this that in whatever circumstance there is hope and joy to be found! For it has been given freely to all who believes in Him. For those who do not know of this God I’m talking about, please feel free to ask me or find out more for yourself. Thanks for reading this testimony and sharing my life with me! God bless and to Him be the glory.

Psalm 3:3-4 (New International Version)
3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD;

you bestow glory on me and lift [a] up my head.

4 To the LORD I cry aloud,

and he answers me from his holy hill.

Selah

7 comments:

小dan said...

justice Bao is always on a lookout for you

that car is SO cui. omg...seriously...u're lucky to survive. god bless you.

Wendy Tay said...

Thanks for your testimony. Thanks for the joy and positive attitude that allow me to see God true work in the life of someone who is trusting him. It only tells me that God is real and can be more real than wat we believe Him to be. Yes, He is unseen but His work is seen thru you Sam. Thanks for being an encouragement.

lamb said...

the fat boy who sat beside me in class 3A is now a charming and very sensible young man!!!

thanks for posting such an encouraging testimony! we're really lucky to have God in our lives to walk tru all good and bad times with!!

~*Precious Metals*~ said...

heys sam,
its really great to see that you're well recovering and growing stronger, all thanks to Daddy Lord!

a great testimony to the AWESOMEST God !!!

and u noe wad uncle sam? u're really brave =) haha, onward Christian soldier.

with love,
carm =Defined=

Pat Chiang said...

hey sammie..
Thanks for sharing on blog! Really touched by what was shared. =)
Our God's faithfulness never ceases!! And I believe it'll be seen continually and increasingly in your life as you keep your focus upon Him. Press on bro... =) You're a blessing!!

Xiu boy said...

yep sam realli brave and proud of u here.. although sometimes u r quite a goon ahhahah
really thank god that u r alive n well and going thru seminar wif me hhaa
do treasure what have been given to u.. i am very sure that god kept u alive for a realli gd reason.. find it:)

desmond

Unknown said...

i'm glad God sustained you. i still can't believe you survived that crash and doing so well.

God is awesome.
great testimony. (:
definitely encouraging.

tricia